Olivia Winning from England, is playing her first season on LETAS and her first as a professional golfer. Olivia competed at the Lalla Aicha Tour School in December 2017 giving her a category 12a for the season. We get to know Olivia with a few quick questions...
Who is your favourite golfer?
- I used to enjoy watching Seve Ballesteros and Ernie Els, they were both a big inspiration when I first started playing.
What’s your favourite club in your bag?
- Driver - There's just no better feeling than a well struck drive, I love to hit it off the deck too though, never be surprised if I pull out a driver on the fairway.
What’s been your biggest golfing achievement of your career?
- Winning the Helen Holm (Scottish Ladies Amateur) in both 2013 and 2016.
Which is your favourite golf course?
- Troon, I played it for the first time in 2011 and it went straight into my top 5 courses, but after winning there twice it’s a place that will always be special to me.
What is the one thing you could not live without?
- Tea. Teabags are usually the first thing to go in my bag when I'm packing for a tournament, absolutely essential!
Who do you most look up to?
- My family - My parents because they're the best role models I could ask for, and are so supportive. My brother mainly because he is so tall I kind of have to, but also because being the youngest I always looked up to my big brother, I only started playing golf because he did so I have a lot to thank him for there, but he helps me a lot and is really supportive too.
What is your favourite food?
- Pasta, pizza, anything Italian really. My favourite thing to cook is mushroom risotto, it's so easy but so good.
How would you spend your perfect day?
- As long as there's time in there for a cup of tea with my grandma that's enough to make any day perfect!
Your favourite city?
- New Orleans, LA. I just love everything about that place.
Describe yourself in one word?
What do you like doing besides playing golf?
- Spending time with my family and friends is really important to me. I like other sports too, listening to music, and love a good work out in the gym. I've also been doing taekwondo for 14 years, I usually train once a week if I'm not away at a tournament.
If you could travel anywhere where would you go?
- South America, I want to go to Argentina especially.
What’s your best golfing tip for a beginner?
- Just enjoy it, and be patient.
Do you have any superstitions before a round?
- I've had some weird phases of only using certain numbered golf balls, for a long time I would never play with a Titleist 4 in a tournament, and then 4's became my favourite but I didn't like using 2's or 3's. I don't really pay much attention to it anymore though, it tends to just be which ever I pull out of my bag first.
What is your most memorable sporting moment?
- The first time I represented England at the North of England U16's, it was such a fun week. I won both my matches in the match we played against Spain the day before, and then made my first hole in one on the final day of the strokeplay tournament, a moment I'll never forget.
Do you listen to music before your round?
- Yes but I turn it off before I start my warm up. I always try to make sure that the last song I listen to before my round is one that I won't mind having stuck in my head for the whole round, one that I actually know the words to and not just 2 lines of the chorus.
What’s in your golf bag besides golf balls and clubs?
- Just the usual stuff, probably an extra layer or two and my waterproofs, some food and a bottle of water. I have a little teddy bear that's always on my bag too, I remember my mum giving it to me as a good luck charm back in 2006 and it's been on my golf bag every single round I've played since.
What are your goals for 2018?
- I'd like to get my first professional tournament win this year, and finish in the top 5 on the LETAS order of merit. I'm just aiming to play a season of good consistent golf, and continue to make improvements to my game (especially my putting) to help me towards achieving my ultimate goal of playing on LET next year.