|Greek amateur Violetta Siozou is competing in her first LET Access Series event this week, the Grecotel Amirandes Ladies Open this week at Crete Golf Club. We asked Violetta about how she started playing the game and her future aspirations.|
Greek amateur Violetta Siozou is competing in her first LET Access Series event this week, the Grecotel Amirandes Ladies Open this week at Crete Golf Club. We asked Violetta about how she started playing the game and her future aspirations.
1) Greece obviously does not produce a lot of professional golfers. What or who inspired you to get started playing golf?
My father was playing golf and he taught me the first steps in the sport and I have since the age of nine played without interruption until now that I am nineteen years old. Unfortunately in Greece it is not popular to play golf because there is not yet widespread experience and knowledge about this sport.
2) Did any of your friends think it strange that you wanted to pursue golf?
Yes, when I went to high school, it was very strange that I was playing golf because most famous sports were football, basketball, volleyball and tennis. Now that I am at university, my friends know better golf and several of them are interested to learn more.
3) How excited were you when the LET Access Series came to Crete last year?
I'm very excited because LET Access Series is a new very interesting experience and challenge for me.
4) Talk about some of your accomplishments as an amateur player?
I have several accomplishments:
a. Member of Women's National Golf team of Greece
b. Winner of the Greek National Women's Championship nine times from 2005 until present
c. Participation in the World Amateur Championship (Australia) in 2008
d. Participation in many European EGA tournaments with good positions
e. Winner of Super Cup of Hellenic Golf Federation, three times from 2009 to present
f. Winner of the 2013 Corfu International Tournament
5) Do you aspire to play professionally? If so, do you have a time when you plan on turning pro?
I'd like to play professionally but I do not have time because I'm studying at university until 2016. Only in the summer/Christmas/Easter holidays/weekends and if I receive my permission from university, to participate in tournaments.
6) What do you hope to accomplish in the LET Access event?
Golf experiences, new acquaintances and contacts.
7) What do you believe it will take to grow golf in Greece?
The development of golf in Greece depends on many factors, mainly bureaucratic. But because of the large investments, made or planned to be made in the field of golf in the last few years, we believe that the next five years will have a significant growth of golf tourism and sport.
8) Do you have hope of playing on the LET and LPGA Tour in the future?
Yes I do!!! I would like very much to play in America.